Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Is Hurt| DLive's Mom Passes Away| Luka is your WCF MVP!
(05-20-2024, 05:12 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Did he think he was going to make it over Chet or Wembanyama? I don't think they can put 3 centers on the first team unless I'm mistaken. In most other years, he would have been first team. He's going to be a great player.

Rookie teams are positionless. It could be 5 centers or 5 guards. Its usually top 5 players for rookie teams.

NBA media felt GSW Podziemski and Jaquez Jr. apparently had better rookie seasons than Dereck Lively.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-20-2024, 05:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Rookie teams are positionless. It could be 5 centers or 5 guards. Its usually top 5 players for rookie teams.

NBA media felt GSW Podziemski and Jaquez Jr. apparently had better rookie seasons than Dereck Lively.

As uninformed as most voters are I wouldn't be suprised if many of them didn't know that. The talking head era needs to end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-20-2024, 05:19 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As uninformed as most voters are I wouldn't be suprised if many of them didn't know that. The talking head era needs to end.

It has in my mind. They don't even watch the games. There are plenty of other people to listen to.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-20-2024, 02:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Lively lost a little buzz with his injury and what he was dealing off the court.  He also started coming off the bench.  Although we have seen how important he has been these playoffs.  Besides Wemby, I may not take him over anyone else in this rookie class for this team.    Chet would be really difficult discussion though.

I'm sorry but just no... Chet is in a different league as a player because of his skills with the ball, BBIQ, ability to create, shoot and pass. Whereas Lively sometimes even misses put-backs and can't get the ball back to Luka/Kyrie from hand-offs.

Let's just say that Chet is a lot closer to Wemby than Lively is to Chet. If you got to swap Lively for Chet, you do it instantly, and happily pay for the pleasure too. No need for discussion.

Making it seem like Lively is equal to Chet is just wrong, and perhaps why some think that SGA deserves MVP more than Luka... i.e., because of not giving proper weightage to the calibre of SGA's team-mates like Chet, Jalen, Dort, Cason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 01:25 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm sorry but just no... Chet is in a different league as a player because of his skills with the ball, BBIQ, ability to create, shoot and pass. Whereas Lively sometimes even misses put-backs and can't get the ball back to Luka/Kyrie from hand-offs.

Let's just say that Chet is a lot closer to Wemby than Lively is to Chet. If you got to swap Lively for Chet, you do it instantly, and happily pay for the pleasure too. No need for discussion.

Making it seem like Lively is equal to Chet is just wrong, and perhaps why some think that SGA deserves MVP more than Luka... i.e., because of not giving proper weightage to the calibre of SGA's team-mates like Chet, Jalen, Dort, Cason.

I can put blinders on and pretend I know nothing of the NBA before, say, 2017, and almost get behind this take. It’s possibly correct in the modern, post-bigs league. But I doubt it. I see that era as short-lived and most likely already over. Bigs are back. And Chet ain’t no big. 

Give me Lively over Chet 10 times outta 10. The only thing Chet does better is shoot the basketball. Lively is already better at everything else. And Lively’s frame gives him the potential to do it at an all-time level. Chet’s frame gives him the chance to turn into Shawn Bradley. Only shorter.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/SloHoopsFan/status/1...6931010612

The amount of hate Luka Doncic receives is so unfair. Its silly. It makes me mad. Seeing some of it compiled into this video makes my blood boil.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 01:25 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm sorry but just no... Chet is in a different league as a player because of his skills with the ball, BBIQ, ability to create, shoot and pass. Whereas Lively sometimes even misses put-backs and can't get the ball back to Luka/Kyrie from hand-offs.

It's funny saying this after watching Lively dominate Chet in a closeout game where Chet grabbed 3 boards to Lively's 15.

IF Lively develops a 3pt shot, what does Chet do better than Lively at that point? And even if he doesn't, does a 3pt shot really make up for the big difference in rebounding, passing, and screening? Chet is a better shooter. He's just as good, heck I'll even say better than Lively at rim protection. They both guard in space. Chet's offensive game is leaps above Lively's. But Lively does a lot of things that makes his fit with Luka/Kyrie way better than what Chet can provide imo.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Arioch, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 02:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's funny saying this after watching Lively dominate Chet in a closeout game where Chet grabbed 3 boards to Lively's 15.

IF Lively develops a 3pt shot, what does Chet do better than Lively at that point? And even if he doesn't, does a 3pt shot really make up for the big difference in rebounding, passing, and screening? Chet is a better shooter. He's just as good, heck I'll even say better than Lively at rim protection. They both guard in space. Chet's offensive game is leaps above Lively's. But Lively does a lot of things that makes his fit with Luka/Kyrie way better than what Chet can provide imo.

I like Chet's playmaking. Three assists per game in his rookie season. As of now his reads are just a little bit quicker and he makes better decisions with the ball in his hand. Also has far better handles.
But I wouldn't say that both guard in space. Watching them in the last six games I think Lively is a better perimeter defender. Holmgren is a better rim protector but when he was asked to step out of the paint he was completly lost. Mavs on the other hand trusted Lively in isos against Williams and SGA.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I love Lively, but he doesn't face the basket and shoot beyond 5 feet. Chet can shoot from anywhere. Part of Chet's game is as an offensive threat. They run plays for that.

Lively is better in my opinion as an active defender and rebounder. He's a perfect fit for Dallas. He outworks almost everyone he plays against now. Not only that but watching Lively shoot free throws and three-point shots in practice makes me think he's perfectly capable of shooting the ball beyond the box. His trajectory looks great. There's no reason he's not a better player than Chet in another year or two.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Kidnova, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 02:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's funny saying this after watching Lively dominate Chet in a closeout game where Chet grabbed 3 boards to Lively's 15.

Lively is more than adequate, skills wise, for what he's asked to do in Dallas, and that's enough. I'm GLAD he's perfectly suited and WON'T require a max contract when he's older (though I'm sure he'll be well paid).
Like Reply
[Image: 1793437992381489377_0.jpg?ex=664ff0a0&is...eight=1514]
Like Reply
[Image: 1793432492646555986_0.jpg?ex=664fd987&is...eight=1514]
Like Reply
[Image: 1793429991788826977_0.jpg?ex=664fd8eb&is...eight=1350]
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 11:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: 1793429991788826977_0.jpg?ex=664fd8eb&is...eight=1350]

And this is why I've never once worried about Luka leaving. 

Now...a year AFTER he signs that contract? Yeah, I hope they have enough assets lying around to be competitive THEN.
Like Reply
Who was the absolute clown that gave Lebron a first place vote
[-] The following 1 user Likes GATA's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
What knucklehead put Luka 2nd team?
[-] The following 2 users Like Berknip's post:
  • fifteenth, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5512077...newsletter&campaign=9893778&userId=15479295
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
My guess is it was SAS or someone from Minnesota w/the lone Luka 2nd team vote.
Like Reply
(03-12-2024, 09:15 PM)Smitty Wrote: It’s not popular to defend Kidd on here. Believe me, I’ve criticized him plenty. But his two stars are poor defenders. His best defender, Maxi, has missed 37 games of a possible 65. Second best defender, Exum, has missed 26 games.

This team has shown that they can play excellent defense and they’ve shown the exact opposite, in back to back weeks, even game to game. And that’s honestly what I expect when nobody on the team has played together all season.

The Mavs and Grizzlies are the only teams in the West that don’t have a 5 man lineup that’s played 100+ minutes together. The top 4 in the West average 640 minutes played for their top 5-man lineups. The Mavs - 88 minutes.

Defense in the NBA regular season seems optional these days but to just be average you need effort, availability and continuity. Effort will always be an issue with a Luka led team. Availability hasn’t been the case this year and continuity comes with time.

The scheme obviously has flaws and to me it looks like they’re working through those things. Some games it looks good and others the communication and effort isn’t there. I watched the Celtics defense against the Mavs and it was a joke. Of course the Mavs couldn’t make anything but they’re supposed to be the best of the best and they looked like a G league team on the defensive end that night.

Hopefully they get it figured out because if they can just be average consistently, their offense is good enough to be dangerous.

Good job Kidd. Effort, availability and continuity pays off and they can better execute their scheme. 

Incredible that the Mavs are now known for their defense... who would have thought.
Like Reply
So does that mean Haliburton is super-max eligible? Which All-NBA team you need?

If I was an opposing petty GM aka a Morey, I´d encourage the media to make some opposing players All-NBA rather than starting a NL campaign to get Embiid MVP votes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, RGP1981
Like Reply