Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
P.J. Washington: 5rbd, 2ast, 9pts
5.41%
2 5.41%
DJJ: 4rbd, 2ast, 1stl, 1blk, 22pts
32.43%
12 32.43%
Gafford: 7rbd, 1ast, 1blk, 10pts
0%
0 0%
Kyrie: 2rbd, 3ast, 22pts
0%
0 0%
Luka: 10rbd, 10ast, 2stl, 29pts
13.51%
5 13.51%
Derick Lively II: 15rbd, 3ast, 1stl, 1blk, 12pts
48.65%
18 48.65%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 6 Playoffs Dirkie Thread: Dereck Lively!!
(05-19-2024, 10:45 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: ..."My wife who has also been a season ticket holder was so mad at Hubie Brown for being so critical and analytical in a negative focus towards the Mavericks. They switched to an incredibly positive view toward OKC last night and willfully negative toward correcting Luka."... 

...Did anyone see the ad they ran for game 7 Monday with us vs oKC. The announcer quickly corrected the ad but their hopes were already confirmed. Oops!...

I hate how profit motivated the whole world is and how people just go along with it. 

I'd like to think that if I worked in traditional sports media and my boss said "skew towards team "B" today, it will help ratings and set up the storyline for the next game," that I'd say "no, I'm going to say what I think."

There is a reason why we get way better analysis from folks that don't work on network shows and broadcasts.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 06:40 AM)Lukedoncic Wrote: Word for word, absolutely spot on!

the only thing to add to this, and a complete tangent is the refs were baaaaaad, but Richard Jefferson was BAAAAAAAAAD!! man, I was neutral on that guy before tonight, now I hate him with the fury of a thousand suns!

I felt a wee bit bad for RJ when Dirk had him in that headlock. But talking incessantly about Luka losing composure when he was 7 of 8 from the field was pretty obvious bias.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 10:45 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I woke up this morning thinking of how PJs clutch look and his approach to every play down the stretch was just so awesome. Of course he matched it by coming through.

My wife who has also been a season ticket holder was so mad at Hubie Brown for being so critical and analytical in a negative focus towards the Mavericks. They switched to an incredibly positive view toward OKC last night and willfully negative toward correcting Luka. They didn’t seem to notice how awesome Luka was last night. I guess they want to capture the Oklahoma or game 7 market.

Did anyone see the ad they ran for game 7 Monday with us vs oKC. The announcer quickly corrected the ad but their hopes were already confirmed. Oops!
I saw that ad!  I was like WTF??? Even the NBA’s “fixers” couldn’t make that happen!

Hard choice for Dirkie last night. Can I give a half a vote each to DLIII and DJJ?
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 2 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 07:02 PM)The Jom Wrote: I felt a wee bit bad for RJ when Dirk had him in that headlock. But talking incessantly about Luka losing composure when he was 7 of 8 from the field was pretty obvious bias.

If Dirk would have put him to sleep with that chokehold, it would have been a much better viewing experience honestly

Dude was on SGA and OKC side the whole game and he wasn't even hiding it.
[-] The following 2 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 11:31 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: If Dirk would have put him to sleep with that chokehold, it would have been a much better viewing experience honestly

Dude was on SGA and OKC side the whole game and he wasn't even hiding it.

And, how many times did they talk about Luka having 1 tech?  I swear, they were hoping he'd get the 2nd and tossed.  Jefferson's voice is only slightly less annoying that what he says.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hooper21's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-20-2024, 01:07 PM)Hooper21 Wrote: And, how many times did they talk about Luka having 1 tech?  I swear, they were hoping he'd get the 2nd and tossed.  Jefferson's voice is only slightly less annoying that what he says.

THEY WERE INCESSANT

THEY LITERALLY WOULDN'T STOP

I found it hilarious that I think RJ opens the 4th quarter and reads off Luka's stats saying:

"Luka has 25 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and 7 turnovers and a technical foul!"

Like WHAT? Why?? Why not just say he has 25 points heading into the 4th and was doing everything for his team? I don't know whose wife Luka banged at the ESPN studios but he obviously has made some enemies there.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Guys, we love Luka because we're Mavs fans and watch him every night.

But, imagine being a fan of another team and having to watch him alternate between busting your team's ass and whining like a little kid when things don't go his way.

Then, imagine being a general NBA fan watching him alternate between busting the other deep playoff team's ass and whining like a little kid when things don't go his way.

Both of the latter two groups probably HATE him and hate watching him. If it seems like the announcers (who I think are just as bad as you all do, only for different reasons) are against him, I'm sure they either feel the same way (annoyed) or are attempting to cater to the anti-Luka audience, which I'd assume is the much larger portion of viewers.

The good news is that he has another series to show everyone why we all fell in love with him. But, he's never, ever going to win over the national audience (or win the MVP, for that matter) until he gives up a lot of that complaining. I don't care if you're in the camp of "he's immature" or "that's just the European soccer culture" or whatever - America hates it. We've talked about it so much around here, and we're all pretty desensitized to it and able to look past it because we love the dude, but the national audience will not. I don't know what you expect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-20-2024, 02:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Guys, we love Luka because we're Mavs fans and watch him every night.

But, imagine being a fan of another team and having to watch him alternate between busting your team's ass and whining like a little kid when things don't go his way.

Then, imagine being a general NBA fan watching him alternate between busting the other deep playoff team's ass and whining like a little kid when things don't go his way.

Both of the latter two groups probably HATE him and hate watching him. If it seems like the announcers (who I think are just as bad as you all do, only for different reasons) are against him, I'm sure they either feel the same way (annoyed) or are attempting to cater to the anti-Luka audience, which I'd assume is the much larger portion of viewers.

The good news is that he has another series to show everyone why we all fell in love with him. But, he's never, ever going to win over the national audience (or win the MVP, for that matter) until he gives up a lot of that complaining. I don't care if you're in the camp of "he's immature" or "that's just the European soccer culture" or whatever - America hates it. We've talked about it so much around here, and we're all pretty desensitized to it and able to look past it because we love the dude, but the national audience will not. I don't know what you expect.

I agree. In fact, I sat beside OKC fans at Boomer Jacks for game 6, made friends with them, and then had to listen to them after they lost, with a little alcohol in them, saying "at least our superstar isn't a baby who complains constantly!"
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-20-2024, 02:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Guys, we love Luka because we're Mavs fans and watch him every night.

This is a nice measured, reasonable take on why national broadcasts appear to hate on Luka so much. Kudos.

But I prefer to live in the reality that Luka actually banged all the executives at ESPN's wives and then proceeded to drop 40 on their favorite team (*while also whining incessantly over no-calls).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 04:10 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
A @StatsWilliams special: There have been three rookies with at least 10 points and 15 rebounds in elimination wins since 1980.

Magic Johnson
David Robinson
Dereck Lively II

I'll throw out another record. Lively's +71 in the OKC series broke Manu Ginobli's single series rookie record of +64 in the first round against the Suns
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply