Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
P.J. Washington: 5rbd, 2ast, 9pts
5.41%
2 5.41%
DJJ: 4rbd, 2ast, 1stl, 1blk, 22pts
32.43%
12 32.43%
Gafford: 7rbd, 1ast, 1blk, 10pts
0%
0 0%
Kyrie: 2rbd, 3ast, 22pts
0%
0 0%
Luka: 10rbd, 10ast, 2stl, 29pts
13.51%
5 13.51%
Derick Lively II: 15rbd, 3ast, 1stl, 1blk, 12pts
48.65%
18 48.65%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 6 Playoffs Dirkie Thread: Dereck Lively!!
I have 3 players in the last round for the Dirkie.

PJ Washington played some great defense. He struggled on offense, but came through in the end
Gafford played well until he got tired. The positive of this is that he helped tire out Holmgren and others.
Kyrie kept plugging away. Without him OKC can key only on Luka.

Now for the 3 finalists:
DJJ is a terror on defense. He also kept us in the game until the rest of the team started scoring.
Mr. Triple Double Doncic. What would we do without him? If only we could tape his mouth shut...
Dereck Lively is a rookie stud. This guy could be really good!

I'm giving my Dirkie to DJJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
DJJ was great. And I fear that the Mavs won't be able to match some of the offers he will receive in the offseason. PJ was clutch. Lively was on another level. Almost single-handedly kept them in the game with his rebounding in the late 3rd/early 4th.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: DJJ was great. And I fear that the Mavs won't be able to match some of the offers he will receive in the offseason. PJ was clutch. Lively was on another level. Almost single-handedly kept them in the game with his rebounding in the late 3rd/early 4th.

I think we will find a way. He will want a chance at a repeat.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:05 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I think we will find a way. He will want a chance at a repeat.

I see what you did there, and I heartily approve. Eight down, eight to go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
He’s here he’s there he’s every fucking where!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply

via GIPHY

[-] The following 3 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • fifteenth, SleepingHero, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
I know he didn’t have the best game, but PJ hit the clutch free throws to win so he gets my vote
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I might be sick in the head, but despite Lively's AMAZING 4th quarter, I'm having trouble looking past his shaky first half. I guess I have come to expect this high of a level from him (bananas, for a rookie) and similar to Luka, I feel like you could give it to him every game. The bobbled passes, passive rebounding, out of control drives into a packed paint, etc, in the first half just won't allow me to give him my vote, despite him being crucial throughout the 4th quarter.

What I still DON'T expect, and seemingly CAN'T convince myself is real, is DJJ turning into Bruce Bowen as a three point shooter, and even having the handles to attack closeouts and credibly threaten to score in the paint (off the dribble!) enough to draw fouls! That dude is either playing a mile over his head right now or he has been the best kept secret in league for the past few seasons. He gets my vote tonight.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
ain't it like the third straight triple double for luka in this series?
[-] The following 2 users Like LukaMVP's post:
  • Arioch, BigDirk41
Like Reply
Dereck Lively led the team in +/- for the 4th time in the last 5 games and was a +84 over those. As awesome as DJJ was (and I'm getting concerned about our ability to keep him this offseason) it's criminal that Lively hasn't won one of these in this series yet. With Chet and Cason Wallace eliminated he's the only rookie of any consequence left in the playoffs
[-] The following 2 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I might be sick in the head, but despite Lively's AMAZING 4th quarter, I'm having trouble looking past his shaky first half. I guess I have come to expect this high of a level from him (bananas, for a rookie) and similar to Luka, I feel like you could give it to him every game. The bobbled passes, passive rebounding, out of control drives into a packed paint, etc, in the first half just won't allow me to give him my vote, despite him being crucial throughout the 4th quarter.

What I still DON'T expect, and seemingly CAN'T convince myself is real, is DJJ turning into Bruce Bowen as a three point shooter, and even having the handles to attack closeouts and credibly threaten to score in the paint (off the dribble!) enough to draw fouls! That dude is either playing a mile over his head right now or he has been the best kept secret in league for the past few seasons. He gets my vote tonight.

Either Derick would have been a great choice!
Gave it to Lively, because for most of the series, Chet was dominating him. In the 2nd half of this game, it seemed he finally imposed his will on Chet - he was getting rebounds against him, finishing over him, giving the team extra possessions, and he made some huge free throws down the stretch. 

But the clincher for me was the fact that he is 20. In the biggest game of his life. Having just lost him mom recently. What a homerun of a pick!
[-] The following 2 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I must’ve missed those games. Never saw DLive getting dominated. Frankly, Chat wasn’t that good this series. He offered some strong rim protection on occasion. Never a whole good game.

Another vote for the rook here.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 11:22 PM)The Jom Wrote: I must’ve missed those games. Never saw DLive getting dominated. Frankly, Chat wasn’t that good this series. He offered some strong rim protection on occasion. Never a whole good game.

Another vote for the rook here.

For sure. Lively was outstanding through the entire series (and the first one, too). In fact, if you take away the 4th quarter tonight, I think this might have been his WORST game of the series. 

That's not meant as a slight to anyone who votes for him, because I almost voted for him. It's just...damn, he's good!
Like Reply
I agree on Lively losing the ball like a rookie both tonight and much of the series. I love how he makes up for his mistakes and much of what he does. I love him but I find myself yelling at him a lot. No Dirkies yet. Given the treatment Luka gets on his still injured body he was nothing short of incredible. I don’t know how he rises above and played his best game so far when so much was going the Thunder’s way. This is a whole new way for Luka to rise above expectations. Respect and my Dirkie vote.
Like Reply
WOW! JUST WOW! MAVS DID IT! WHAT A COMEBACK! WHAT A GAME!

F THOSE THUNDER FLOPPERS! I swear to god I was going to pull my hair out listening to Richard Jefferson glaze the Thunder for 48 mins straight. ESPN is such trash.

So many Dirkie winners tonight. Heck can give it to basically everyone.

Josh had a great first half. I felt like he was reading the board and he came out swinging. Had a great off the dribble turnaround. He was attacking, hitting his threes. Fantastic game for Josh.

Hardy! How far has he grown? Hit some great shots and most importantly has really found his groove finding the big for the lob. He couldn't make that pass in summer league a year ago. Now he's doing it and helped propel his team to the WCF!!

Now it really starts to get hard... Luka, I mean what can I say? In a closeout game he puts up a 29/10/10 performance on 9/15 shooting. Hitting one of the most clutchest turnarounds to put the team up in crunch time. Found PJ not once but twice late in the 4th for wide open shots (that both sealed the game. More on that later!). He came up huge. ON ONE LEG LUKA STILL TAKES OUT OKC AND THE THUNDER!!! WHAT A GAME FROM THE DON! MVP!!!

Kyrie Freaking Irving is a master at basketball. He's a jedi. A magician. Watching him play is akin to watching a live orchestra play in front of you a masterpiece. He stepped up huge in the 2nd half, especially that 3rd quarter. He hit a clutch 3 to pull the team within 2. He facilitated to Lively for a nasty poster on Chet that was an and-1 to keep the team connected. He hit a MONSTER 3 that bounced in so perfectly to put the team up 3. C-L-U-T-C-H. SO many plays in the 4th that led to the win. He stepped up when it mattered. Seeing him and Luka embrace after the game brought a tear to my eye. Thank you Mr. Irving. Now rest up and time to start scouting the next opponent!

PJ Washington? PJ Washington. P.J. W. A. S. H. I. N. G. T. O. N. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ICE IN HIS VEINS! He was taken out of the game for the most BS touch fouls early. He couldn't find any rhythm. Does that stop PJ? HELL NAW! He had probably one of the biggest moments in the game before, you know, THAT moment. Mavs down 3 with 5 mins remaining and he somehow comes away with a huge offensive rebound off a missed Lively FT. How does he get that over Chet??? The ball finds its way back to him not 5 seconds later and he hits just a naaaaaaaassssttyyyyyy 3 to tie the game. He then goes down and plays lock down defense without fouling. What happens 2 minutes later? He hits ANOTHER naaaaaaaassssttyyyyyy 3 to put the Mavs up 3 with 2 mins left. AND THEN (CAN YOU BELIEVE THERE IS MORE???) HE DRAWS THE FOUL AND HITS 2 CLUTCH FTS TO PUT THE MAVS UP 2 AND WIN THE GAME! CAN YOU DIG IT????? PJ WASHINGTON JUST WOW!

AND HOW CAN WE TALK ABOUT PJ WASHINGTON AND NOT MENTION HIS PARTNER ON THE WING DJJ??? DJJ stepped up huge this game. I didn't even realize he had 22 points. He had so many big 3s and was just relentless at the rim all night. He had this incredible falling away 2 point shot that was just arced in like a rainbow with a minute left to put the Mavs up 5. One of the clutchest shots of the series. He stepped up big tonight. Mavs get blown out without his timely buckets and defense.

But truthfully I have to give this Dirkie to Lively. What a monster man. What a win. When the going got tough Lively outplayed basically everyone on OKC besides Shai to seal the game. 15 rebounds, 12 points. Made his FTs when it mattered. Lively played all 12 minutes in the 4th and had 8 points, 6 rebounds (3 offensive!!) and was a +8. +26 overall in a playoff game is even more bonkers. WHAT A GAME FROM THE ROOKIE.

ANYONE OF THESE GUYS COULD'VE GOTTEN IT. DESERVEDLY SO. LETS GO MAVS!! TIME TO TAKE ON WHOEVER NEXT. 8 WINS DOWN, 8 MORE TO GO!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 7 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, HIMAV, Lukedoncic, Mavs2021, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
A @StatsWilliams special: There have been three rookies with at least 10 points and 15 rebounds in elimination wins since 1980.

Magic Johnson
David Robinson
Dereck Lively II
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
@MavsMuse
Luka Dončić just became the first player in NBA history with 3 straight triple-doubles to close out a playoff series.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1...8085812724

@noahweber00
Dallas Mavericks stars Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving on rookie center Dereck Lively II:

Doncic: “He was amazing. You see +25, +26 in a playoff game, it’s insane. He’s doing this while being a rookie, he has unbelievable potential and I’m just glad the Mavs drafted him.”

Irving: “You had nothing to do with that? Something about those Duke guys you like.”
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 03:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: WOW! JUST WOW! MAVS DID IT! WHAT A COMEBACK! WHAT A GAME!

F THOSE THUNDER FLOPPERS! I swear to god I was going to pull my hair out listening to Richard Jefferson glaze the Thunder for 48 mins straight. ESPN is such trash.

So many Dirkie winners tonight. Heck can give it to basically everyone.

Josh had a great first half. I felt like he was reading the board and he came out swinging. Had a great off the dribble turnaround. He was attacking, hitting his threes. Fantastic game for Josh.

Hardy! How far has he grown? Hit some great shots and most importantly has really found his groove finding the big for the lob. He couldn't make that pass in summer league a year ago. Now he's doing it and helped propel his team to the WCF!!

Now it really starts to get hard... Luka, I mean what can I say? In a closeout game he puts up a 29/10/10 performance on 9/15 shooting. Hitting one of the most clutchest turnarounds to put the team up in crunch time. Found PJ not once but twice late in the 4th for wide open shots (that both sealed the game. More on that later!). He came up huge. ON ONE LEG LUKA STILL TAKES OUT OKC AND THE THUNDER!!! WHAT A GAME FROM THE DON! MVP!!!

Kyrie Freaking Irving is a master at basketball. He's a jedi. A magician. Watching him play is akin to watching a live orchestra play in front of you a masterpiece. He stepped up huge in the 2nd half, especially that 3rd quarter. He hit a clutch 3 to pull the team within 2. He facilitated to Lively for a nasty poster on Chet that was an and-1 to keep the team connected. He hit a MONSTER 3 that bounced in so perfectly to put the team up 3. C-L-U-T-C-H. SO many plays in the 4th that led to the win. He stepped up when it mattered. Seeing him and Luka embrace after the game brought a tear to my eye. Thank you Mr. Irving. Now rest up and time to start scouting the next opponent!

PJ Washington? PJ Washington. P.J. W. A. S. H. I. N. G. T. O. N. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ICE IN HIS VEINS! He was taken out of the game for the most BS touch fouls early. He couldn't find any rhythm. Does that stop PJ? HELL NAW! He had probably one of the biggest moments in the game before, you know, THAT moment. Mavs down 3 with 5 mins remaining and he somehow comes away with a huge offensive rebound off a missed Lively FT. How does he get that over Chet??? The ball finds its way back to him not 5 seconds later and he hits just a naaaaaaaassssttyyyyyy 3 to tie the game. He then goes down and plays lock down defense without fouling. What happens 2 minutes later? He hits ANOTHER naaaaaaaassssttyyyyyy 3 to put the Mavs up 3 with 2 mins left. AND THEN (CAN YOU BELIEVE THERE IS MORE???) HE DRAWS THE FOUL AND HITS 2 CLUTCH FTS TO PUT THE MAVS UP 2 AND WIN THE GAME! CAN YOU DIG IT????? PJ WASHINGTON JUST WOW!

AND HOW CAN WE TALK ABOUT PJ WASHINGTON AND NOT MENTION HIS PARTNER ON THE WING DJJ??? DJJ stepped up huge this game. I didn't even realize he had 22 points. He had so many big 3s and was just relentless at the rim all night. He had this incredible falling away 2 point shot that was just arced in like a rainbow with a minute left to put the Mavs up 5. One of the clutchest shots of the series. He stepped up big tonight. Mavs get blown out without his timely buckets and defense.

But truthfully I have to give this Dirkie to Lively. What a monster man. What a win. When the going got tough Lively outplayed basically everyone on OKC besides Shai to seal the game. 15 rebounds, 12 points. Made his FTs when it mattered. Lively played all 12 minutes in the 4th and had 8 points, 6 rebounds (3 offensive!!) and was a +8. +26 overall in a playoff game is even more bonkers. WHAT A GAME FROM THE ROOKIE.

ANYONE OF THESE GUYS COULD'VE GOTTEN IT. DESERVEDLY SO. LETS GO MAVS!! TIME TO TAKE ON WHOEVER NEXT. 8 WINS DOWN, 8 MORE TO GO!
Word for word, absolutely spot on!

the only thing to add to this, and a complete tangent is the refs were baaaaaad, but Richard Jefferson was BAAAAAAAAAD!! man, I was neutral on that guy before tonight, now I hate him with the fury of a thousand suns!
[-] The following 3 users Like Lukedoncic's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I woke up this morning thinking of how PJs clutch look and his approach to every play down the stretch was just so awesome. Of course he matched it by coming through.

My wife who has also been a season ticket holder was so mad at Hubie Brown for being so critical and analytical in a negative focus towards the Mavericks. They switched to an incredibly positive view toward OKC last night and willfully negative toward correcting Luka. They didn’t seem to notice how awesome Luka was last night. I guess they want to capture the Oklahoma or game 7 market.

Did anyone see the ad they ran for game 7 Monday with us vs oKC. The announcer quickly corrected the ad but their hopes were already confirmed. Oops!
Like Reply