Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 6 Playoffs 2024: Oklahoma City Thunder (2-3) vs. Dallas Mavericks (3-2)
(05-18-2024, 10:33 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Mavs went from 38-44 last year to WCF, pretty pretty pretty good.

I think they would've made the playoffs last season if they even just had one of Lively or Gafford. It was ridiculous how teams just attacked the paint so easily.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 09:49 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I thought that was maybe a mistake by Daigneault using the last TO if they lost the challenge. Tough call for him.

Yep. 

Kidd had the good sense to save a couple.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:36 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: league wants every series to go 7 but the mavs are just too good to allow it imho. mavs are indubitably a top 3 team now based on post trade records, and they're not even 100% with maxi out and luka injured.

I’m 100% with you that the league cheats. But I don’t agree it’s as simplistic as every series to 7 if we can. I think they monitor a million different things, like which series is boosting their average tv ratings (Minny/Denver), and which isn’t (us). I think they go to great lengths to disguise their influence, and the advent of legal gambling gives them even more incentive to obfuscate. I think they help franchises for sale to get a better price. I think they rotate giving favorable whistles to small market teams one year or another to try to keep them from griping too much. I think they create new gimmicks (in-season tourney) so they can cash in again on LeBron marketability without totally delegitimizing the whole season. 

I’m also 100% with you that the Mavs are too good to lose a 7-game series to the Thunder. But I think that makes em 4th best, not top 3. I’ve generally been one of the biggest optimists on this board. So this isn’t like me. But I think we match up very poorly with the teams that are left. I’ll be surprised if we win 2 more games, regardless of opponent. I think we were the 4th best team in 2022. And I think we’re 4th best this year. Although I really, really hope I’m wrong.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:45 PM)donzingis38 Wrote: I think they would've made the playoffs last season if they even just had one of Lively or Gafford. It was ridiculous how teams just attacked the paint so easily.

What I find amazing is Lively makes you earn almost every point.  Even a contest on a jumper helps as you have a mobile 7 footer contesting a jumper.  Makes it a more difficult shot.  Last year you would get great looks with no contest if you got in the paint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • donzingis38
Like Reply
https://x.com/swish41/status/1792024960409456979
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:56 PM)The Jom Wrote: I’m 100% with you that the league cheats. But I don’t agree it’s as simplistic as every series to 7 if we can. I think they monitor a million different things, like which series is boosting their average tv ratings (Minny/Denver), and which isn’t (us). I think they go to great lengths to disguise their influence, and the advent of legal gambling gives them even more incentive to obfuscate. I think they help franchises for sale to get a better price. I think they rotate giving favorable whistles to small market teams one year or another to try to keep them from griping too much. I think they create new gimmicks (in-season tourney) so they can cash in again on LeBron marketability without totally delegitimizing the whole season. 

I’m also 100% with you that the Mavs are too good to lose a 7-game series to the Thunder. But I think that makes em 4th best, not top 3. I’ve generally been one of the biggest optimists on this board. So this isn’t like me. But I think we match up very poorly with the teams that are left. I’ll be surprised if we win 2 more games, regardless of opponent. I think we were the 4th best team in 2022. And I think we’re 4th best this year. Although I really, really hope I’m wrong.

Dude, read your sig. 

I would call BS on the Mavs being no better than fourth of the final six, but it depends on whether or not you are factoring in Luka's current health. With a healthy Luka, Minnie is the only team I fear. His injuries mean that the Nuggets and Celtics should probably be ranked higher. But under no circumstances are either the Knicks or Pacers better. The Mavs looked shaky as heck in this series in many respects (Luka and Kai) and yet prevailed. If Luka knocks off the complaining and turnover horsepucky, and if Kyrie gets his 14-0 self together, there will be plenty of reason to believe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
https://x.com/coopz___/status/1792045640035295555?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA
  • The Jom
Like Reply
I said each win would be brutal but this was ridiculously hard. I was mad at all the things going against us but it is always good to know the Mavericks will keep coming no matter what happens and they know the incredible fortitude it takes to withstand everything and just keep coming.

As for Tony Brothers I think it is all about how he believes the game can be played. He allows defenders tremendous latitude to grab and impede offensive players. The Thunder do well with this as shown by the records under Brothers posted earlier in this thread. They can turn the Mavs over because they know their fouls won’t be called. The more I watched and rewatched the more evidence I found. It is frustrating to me and to Luka.

I do think Luka learned by talking to Brothers tonight. He stopped the kind of things that OKC was able to cheat on in the 2nd half. Maybe the coaches helped. Our key will be put more strategy in place to not give them the opportunity to foul when the calls aren’t being made. We stop the turnovers we may take this whole thing.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:36 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: league wants every series to go 7 but the mavs are just too good to allow it imho. mavs are indubitably a top 3 team now based on post trade records, and they're not even 100% with maxi out and luka injured.

Yes...this...Silver, the NBA, and the networks want 7 game series.  Money, MONEY, Money!
Like Reply
Luka 7/7 on free throws in a 1-point win. Huge
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Luka is shooting 57/53/90 over the last two games. I think he actually looks healthier. Maybe it´s time we apply the ice packs to his head to cool him down and we might have a shot at this thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: What I find amazing is Lively makes you earn almost every point.  Even a contest on a jumper helps as you have a mobile 7 footer contesting a jumper.  Makes it a more difficult shot.  Last year you would get great looks with no contest if you got in the paint.

Are you sure? I mean those advanced stats say that we are a better team with Dwight Powell in the middle. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:56 PM)The Jom Wrote: I’m also 100% with you that the Mavs are too good to lose a 7-game series to the Thunder. But I think that makes em 4th best, not top 3. I’ve generally been one of the biggest optimists on this board. So this isn’t like me. But I think we match up very poorly with the teams that are left. I’ll be surprised if we win 2 more games, regardless of opponent. I think we were the 4th best team in 2022. And I think we’re 4th best this year. Although I really, really hope I’m wrong.

I think the opposite.  I believe we're the favorite over Denver or Minnesota.  We have enough size to bother Jokic and we can beat them in transition.  Much like Minnesota we have lots of guys with long arms to affect their passes. Denver's bench is really terrible as well.  Aaron Gordon can matchup on Luka but they have no one else who can slow him down.  Jamal Murray will run out of heating pads to throw on the court.  I think we're better than Denver. 

I find Minnesota a little scarier as they have more guys who can matchup on Luka and they have a much better bench than Denver.  I think PJ can effectively guard KAT and DJJ was born to defend Anthony Edwards.  Kyrie matches up well on Mike Conley as well.  They have multiple guys who can bother Luka but they don't have much offensively besides Ant and KAT.  We have playoff PJ and DJJ and they don't.  

Mavs in 6 over either opponent.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • Lukedoncic, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 04:52 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think the opposite.  I believe we're the favorite over Denver or Minnesota.  We have enough size to bother Jokic and we can beat them in transition.  Much like Minnesota we have lots of guys with long arms to affect their passes. Denver's bench is really terrible as well.  Aaron Gordon can matchup on Luka but they have no one else who can slow him down.  Jamal Murray will run out of heating pads to throw on the court.  I think we're better than Denver. 

I find Minnesota a little scarier as they have more guys who can matchup on Luka and they have a much better bench than Denver.  I think PJ can effectively guard KAT and DJJ was born to defend Anthony Edwards.  Kyrie matches up well on Mike Conley as well.  They have multiple guys who can bother Luka but they don't have much offensively besides Ant and KAT.  We have playoff PJ and DJJ and they don't.  

Mavs in 6 over either opponent.

Glad you believe they're the favorites over either team, but unfortunately they won't be. Should be a great series nevertheless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 08:17 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Glad you believe they're the favorites over either team, but unfortunately they won't be. Should be a great series nevertheless.

So who are we rooting for tonight, guys? Pick your poison! 

I‘m going with Denver, at least as long as Murray still plays hobbled today. Reason is it wouldn’t be a shame losing against them - but it would be a great chance for Luka to establish himself as being on par with Jokic. And most importantly I think the teams are more different, with clear advantages like speed and rim presence and athleticism on our side. I fear that Minnesota has similar strengths than we do, but could be even more physical and tough nosed and win a streetfight against us which the Clippers and Thunder couldn’t.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 09:00 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So who are we rooting for tonight, guys? Pick your poison! 

I‘m going with Denver, at least as long as Murray still plays hobbled today. Reason is it wouldn’t be a shame losing against them - but it would be a great chance for Luka to establish himself as being on par with Jokic. And most importantly I think the teams are more different, with clear advantages like speed and rim presence and athleticism on our side. I fear that Minnesota has similar strengths than we do, but could be even more physical and tough nosed and win a streetfight against us which the Clippers and Thunder couldn’t.

Not sure.  Both are really good and provide different strengths.   As you said, Murry is a little hobbled and at times there is a little too much Holiday for my liking.   At the same time, at the end of games you really have no answer.   You just have to hope they miss really good shots.    Minnesota may be more talented, but you may have a better chance down the stretch against them.   They are more likely to beat you by 15 though, I think.

Not sure.  I would think either are favored against the Mavs but it should be fun.
  • Knutsen
Like Reply
https://x.com/MavsStan41/status/1792013174788505980

https://x.com/Imjaywest/status/1792016898957119611
  • The Jom
Like Reply
I probably would have picked to play Minnie because they seem so erratic even if they have more talent. But Conley is a good floor general and his leadership makes me think Minnie has enough to overpower us.

Denver is not quite itself right now. It seems like their motivation comes and goes. We beat them recently and I think we can beat them again.

So Denver for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • Knutsen
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:33 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Mavs went from 38-44 last year to WCF, pretty pretty pretty good.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doylerader/...67faf7fdd7

A little reminder of how we felt at this time last year.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 09:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://x.com/MavsStan41/status/1792013174788505980

https://x.com/Imjaywest/status/1792016898957119611

Both of these were with the refs looking right at the plays and swallowing their whistles.  Pathetic!
Like Reply