Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-17-2024, 04:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: I really think they should start Lively in anticipation of Giddey starting on the bench.  He has been much more effective against a true 5 out offense.

At the same time, why mess with a starting lineup that is in a groove? Mavs bring in Lively anyways around 8mins left in the 1st.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1...4877827477

@noahweber00
Dallas Mavericks bigs Dereck Lively II and Daniel Gafford working on threes from the left corner.

First time I’ve seen Gafford work on threes since being a Maverick.

Lively II continues to show that his touch from downtown is there and growing.

Sheesh if Lively can develop a 3 ball... I shudder to think how high his ceiling is.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
@noahweber00
Jason Kidd on Maxi Kleber’s injury:

“There is a possibility that he can return, it’s great to see him get his cardio, his blood flow going…It’s all progress. It’s all going in the right direction and I think that’s a positive for him, but also for his teammates and coaches to see him doing some basketball activity. We’ll see what that timeline looks like as we go forward.”
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 06:24 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @noahweber00
Jason Kidd on Maxi Kleber’s injury:

“There is a possibility that he can return, it’s great to see him get his cardio, his blood flow going…It’s all progress. It’s all going in the right direction and I think that’s a positive for him, but also for his teammates and coaches to see him doing some basketball activity. We’ll see what that timeline looks like as we go forward.”

This is great news, but last time he came back from injury it took him months to get his shot back. Hopefully, this won't be that traumatic.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 06:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is great news, but last time he came back from injury it took him months to get his shot back. Hopefully, this won't be that traumatic.

You just about have to expect some rust. Nothing replicates real game time situations until you actually play in them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 06:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is great news, but last time he came back from injury it took him months to get his shot back. Hopefully, this won't be that traumatic.

It’s his right shoulder also. Have to think it’ll affect his shot. Very unfortunate because he was just starting to shoot it well again. His defense will still make him a positive regardless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 11:21 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Add another dependable scorer (Simons, Sexton, Hardy(?) this offseason to this list and it would be a dream offseason.

I think Sexton is about as talented a player as we can possibly acquire this offseason with our limited assets.  There are just not a lot of teams who look like they'll be willing to trade talent this offseason.   I would rather Alex Caruso but Sexton would also upgrade our roster.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 09:57 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think Sexton is about as talented a player as we can possibly acquire this offseason with our limited assets.  

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they can do
I really don't think think they should touch anymore of their 1st rounders, especially that 2031 
Some combo of THJ, Hardy, Green and those 2nd rounders should get us something interesting
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 10:05 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they can do
I really don't think think they should touch anymore of their 1st rounders, especially that 2031 
Some combo of THJ, Hardy, Green and those 2nd rounders should get us something interesting

I am fine with a deal that includes the 2025 1st but agree with the general idea not to make even more risky gambles with future picks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 10:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am fine with a deal that includes the 2025 1st but agree with the general idea not to make even more risky gambles with future picks.

If this team gets to the WCF or beyond, I’m not sure I want to give up any picks. We will have guys wanting to join us as FA’s for a change. I’m not even too keen on dumping Green. Think he’s far from finished growing as a player and doesn’t turn 24 until November!
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 4 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • ballsrchr, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 04:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: I really think they should start Lively in anticipation of Giddey starting on the bench.  He has been much more effective against a true 5 out offense.

I agree with this.  Lively has been more effective this series and his quicker feet help us against the Thunder's speed. 

I also think there will be less whining about Daniel Gafford on this board when he finally comes off the bench.    

Lively is clearly the more talented player and is clearly the future.  I think there will be less complaining about Gafford when he is in the role that he was acquired to fill-  the backup center position.   As a backup big, he'll be one of the league's best.  Everyone can then direct their criticisms to THJ and Josh Green.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 10:05 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they can do

I don't think some combination of THJ, Hardy, Green and our 2nd-round picks will net us a good player.  

I'm Ok with holding onto our picks and drafting and raising young players.  I'm also fine with watching Green and Hardy develop here.  

To acquire another really good rotation player though, we'd have to pay the price..

I'm really Ok with the status quo as long as we find a way to keep DJJ.  That is my priority this summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 07:33 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I'm Ok with holding onto our picks and drafting and raising young players.  I'm also fine with watching Green and Hardy develop here.  

To acquire another really good rotation player though, we'd have to pay the price..

I'm really Ok with the status quo as long as we find a way to keep DJJ.  That is my priority this summer.

I mostly think working the draft and developing players is the way to go.  A team must always have players on the bench who will eventually join the rotation.  You can't hit all the time but the Mavs can do a lot better than they have in the past.

...and even if we could pay the price that good rotation player would be the 4th, 5th, or 6th (or lower?) best man on the team.  It takes a special kind of personality to accept that role and play effectively.

Green and Hardy do indeed have some room to grow.  Especially Hardy.  This will come down to hard work and coaching.

I believe the Mavs have a team option for $3.15 million on Dante Exum.  If this is accurate I hope they pick it up.  Exum has some room to grow.

Yes...DJJ should be a prority.

Developing and utilizing players comes down to coaching--and all that goes with being a coach.  I'm hard on coaches.  I still haven't changed my mind about Kidd, but I'm not stone.  I can change--but it takes a lot...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
I think the jury is still out on what the Mavericks need to get to the championship level. The front office will know more when this season is over. There's nothing like an extended playoff to tell you what your weaknesses are.

It's likely somewhere in the rotation - a player that can replace Kleber perhaps or maybe a more offensive-minded wing. But since our starting 5-6 seems pretty well set now, it's really the rotation minutes that need tweaking in my opinion. Maybe there's a trade to be had, but I think the FO is likely to be very selective - and now they can afford to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://x.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/179...9361577387
Like Reply
So he infamously called Dinwidde a profane name. And he’s known for gifting SGA free throws. But don’t Mavs have a decent playoff record against (I mean with) him?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 10:30 AM)The Jom Wrote: So he infamously called Dinwidde a profane name. And he’s known for gifting SGA free throws. But don’t Mavs have a decent playoff record against (I mean with) him?

He was part of the crew that gave OKC the free throw parade in game 1.
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 11:11 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: He was part of the crew that gave OKC the free throw parade in game 1.

It will make the victory even sweeter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 07:24 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I agree with this.  Lively has been more effective this series and his quicker feet help us against the Thunder's speed. 

I also think there will be less whining about Daniel Gafford on this board when he finally comes off the bench.    

Lively is clearly the more talented player and is clearly the future.  I think there will be less complaining about Gafford when he is in the role that he was acquired to fill-  the backup center position.   As a backup big, he'll be one of the league's best.  Everyone can then direct their criticisms to THJ and Josh Green.

I think Gafford is starting for two reasons:

1) to keep young Lively out of early foul trouble. He has actually been GREAT about avoiding rookie fouls this season, for the most part, but you don't really know how a playoff game is going to be officiated until you're about 5 minutes in. I don't hate that strategy. 

2) because Gafford is 100% more useful when playing with Luka. I haven't checked, but I have a feeling most of the Kyrie only minutes are going to Lively, or even Kleber/PJ at the 5. I remember distinctly that after the Haywood/Butler trade everyone was knives out on one of the older boards because Dampier was still starting over Haywood. When asked about it, Haywood said something like "coach just thinks Damp is more successful playing with Kidd than he is without Kidd, that's all. I don't mind." 

#2 is just a hunch, but I'm pretty confident about #1.

What I can't quite figure out is why, once foul trouble isn't a problem in the 2nd half, Lively isn't playing more in general. He's so clearly the superior player.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-18-2024, 11:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Gafford is starting for two reasons:

1) to keep young Lively out of early foul trouble. He has actually been GREAT about avoiding rookie fouls this season, for the most part, but you don't really know how a playoff game is going to be officiated until you're about 5 minutes in. I don't hate that strategy. 

2) because Gafford is 100% more useful when playing with Luka. I haven't checked, but I have a feeling most of the Kyrie only minutes are going to Lively, or even Kleber/PJ at the 5. I remember distinctly that after the Haywood/Butler trade everyone was knives out on one of the older boards because Dampier was still starting over Haywood. When asked about it, Haywood said something like "coach just thinks Damp is more successful playing with Kidd than he is without Kidd, that's all. I don't mind." 

#2 is just a hunch, but I'm pretty confident about #1.

What I can't quite figure out is why, once foul trouble isn't a problem in the 2nd half, Lively isn't playing more in general. He's so clearly the superior player.

I think both your points are correct as to why Gafford is starting.

The other reason is because we've played much better generally since Gafford was put in the starting lineup.  I don't think Gafford starting over Lively is actually the reason for our dramatic improvement.  However, I understand why Kidd wouldn't want to change up what's working.  

I think there's also an element of Kidd wanting to start the veteran over the rookie all things else being equal.

I agree though that I would rather see more Lively minutes overall than Gafford minutes.  I am grateful though to have two talented centers this season and be able to engage in this discussion.   This time last season, Christian Wood was our best option at center and Kidd hated that option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply