Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnesota/Denver, Game 5 Thread
Best case scenario is that the Wolves win tonight and the Nuggets win Game 7. Worst case scenario is that the Wolves win tonight and again in Game 7.

I get the whole "be careful what you wish for" thing. I'm just not sure the physics of the matchups make it possible for the Mavs to beat the Wolves, and as for the Nuggets, you have to beat the best to be the best.
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 08:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Haven't really changed anything as far as the scheme goes. Only difference is that they get away with double/triple teams on Jokic because the rest of the Nuggets cannot take advantage. Reminds me of some really frustrating Mavs teams with Luka creating a 4vs3 every single time. Bullock, THJ and DFS unable create a good look out of it.

Yeah but Denver has a much better team than that Mavs team with Bullock, DFS, and THJ. They're just not making shots. It happens. Still early though. Minnesota better keep the pressure on.
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 08:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Best case scenario is that the Wolves win tonight and the Nuggets win Game 7. Worst case scenario is that the Wolves win tonight and again in Game 7.

I get the whole "be careful what you wish for" thing. I'm just not sure the physics of the matchups make it possible for the Mavs to beat the Wolves, and as for the Nuggets, you have to beat the best to be the best.

I am scared of the T'Wolves whistle. Watching the playoffs for me it feels like no team is getting a more favorable whistle. Entire playoffs have an early 00s vibe. Physical around the rim but slashers like Edwards, SGA and Brunson get a super friendly whistle. Triggers my DWade PTSD.
On other hand. Fully assume that no matter how bad Murray looked in the playoffs so far he would play an all time great series against the Mavs.
Like Reply
Minnesota has 36 rebounds at halftime. Some teams don't have that many the whole game. Crazy stat..
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 08:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Best case scenario is that the Wolves win tonight and the Nuggets win Game 7. Worst case scenario is that the Wolves win tonight and again in Game 7.

I think you’re crazy. If you can slow Edwards down, the wolves are easy (to defend, at least) and I have a WAY easier time envisioning the Mavs defending him than Jokic.

I hope Minnesota wins tonight, either way, so whichever team the Mavs play isn’t rested, but I’ll be shocked if Denver doesn’t win the series. If Minnesota wins, I’ll feel like it’s the best possible.
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 08:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think you’re crazy. If you can slow Edwards down, the wolves are easy (to defend, at least) and I have a WAY easier time envisioning the Mavs defending him than Jokic.

I hope Minnesota wins tonight, either way, so whichever team the Mavs play isn’t rested, but I’ll be shocked if Denver doesn’t win the series. If Minnesota wins, I’ll feel like it’s the best possible.

From what we've seen in the regular series, Minnesota has the personnel to make it as if Luka and Kyrie don't exist on the offensive end, and any gear Luka had to possibly overcome that is moot given his playing hurt. So it's not "whom can the Mavs do a better job of stopping" so much as "who is capable of binarily shutting down the Mavs."
Like Reply
Looked really bad. But at least he is able to leave the court on his own legs.
Edit: Back on the FT line. Tough kid.
Like Reply
Hopefully this goes to 7 and the Mavs can take care of their business. Those few days of rest will be huge for Luka and Kyrie.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Jokic only with one assist so far. Similar to the Mavs/Luka more often than not that is all you need to know about the teams shooting/overall offense.
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 09:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Looked really bad. But at least he is able to leave the court on his own legs.
Edit: Back on the FT line. Tough kid.

Who?
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 09:08 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: From what we've seen in the regular series, Minnesota has the personnel to make it as if Luka and Kyrie don't exist on the offensive end, and any gear Luka had to possibly overcome that is moot given his playing hurt. So it's not "whom can the Mavs do a better job of stopping" so much as "who is capable of binarily shutting down the Mavs."

And you have the depth versus experience argument 
Denver is basically 1 injury away from being screwed. No one on their bench can come in and be a decent substitute for a starter. 
And for the Wolves you have to wonder if the pressure of possibly getting to the Finals would make their shooters crumble. 
Just glad their series is going 7 games
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 09:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Who?

Edwards. Landed on his lower back and did not get up for 2-3 minutes.

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...5272193214
Like Reply
115-70. A 45 pt anilalation of the Nuggets.
Like Reply
I don't get some of you saying you'd rather have Denver over Minnesota or vice versa. Mavs have to close out OKC before any of that happens. I personally think either team is going to be a tough out. Minnesota knows they can win in Denver, so game 7 will go to the team that plays the best.
[-] The following 4 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41, fifteenth, RGP1981, SleepingHero
Like Reply
This series is so 2005 Mavs/Rockets:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...ricks.html
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • fifteenth, SleepingHero
Like Reply
After todays game the average margin of victory for the series is 25 points. 4 blowouts. A lot of garbage time for a heavy weight playoff matchup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Maybe it’s because the three games I’ve watched were the three, consecutive Denver victories (busy tonight), but I’ll be pretty shocked if Denver doesnt win game 7.
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 10:05 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I don't get some of you saying you'd rather have Denver over Minnesota or vice versa. Mavs have to close out OKC before any of that happens. I personally  think either team is going to be a tough out. Minnesota knows they can win in Denver, so game 7 will go to the team that plays the best.

You're absolutely right, the Mavericks' players have to first win their series against OKC and shouldn't be thinking about the next round's opponent.

That being said... as a fan:

McDaniels vs Luka and Ant vs Kyrie?
(or)
Gordon vs Luka and KCP vs Kyrie?

I think I would prefer the latter.

Besides, I want to watch Luka and Jokic go at it in a playoff series. So I will be rooting for the Nuggets in their game 7. Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 10:13 PM)The Jom Wrote: This series is so 2005 Mavs/Rockets:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...ricks.html

I remember this series not just because the Mavs came back down from 2-0 only to be blown out game 6 and and it seemed like all hope was lost. But then Jet had a game 7 for the ages.

I also remember TMAC had butter fingers and turned it over and killed HOU's chances to win. I forgot if that was game 3 or 4.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(05-16-2024, 10:05 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Mavs have to close out OKC before any of that happens. 

This is fine, but you and others who keep saying things like this surely realize that, at this point, the Mavs cannot lose the series, except in the case of it involving a major injury, without it constituting a substantial and dynamic choke job?
Like Reply