Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Lavine Market Barely There| NOP Want Trae or Murray
Green is one of my favorite Mavs players. Can reach DFS status even. I can’t understand why Mavs fans dislike him. He’s DFS lite and just turned 23. DFS was 23 his first season as a Mav. Anyway, talking about trading anyone in the 8-man rotation while we’re in the Finals just feels wrong to me is all.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 06:55 PM)Smitty Wrote: Green is one of my favorite Mavs players. Can reach DFS status even. I can’t understand why Mavs fans dislike him. He’s DFS lite and just turned 23. DFS was 23 his first season as a Mav. Anyway, talking about trading anyone in the 8-man rotation while we’re in the Finals just feels wrong to me is all.

I agree that your team being in the NBA finals is a strange time to discuss the off season, but learned long ago that I'm in the minority of fans for whom player movement isn't the most interesting part of the sport. This place doesn't stop dreaming of trades or wondering how to improve the roster. It is what it is.

As for Green, I like him, too, but it's more and more frustrating to me that he can't seem to find a toehold on the team. On one hand, he has emerged from the swamp of THJ/Exum as the most useful backup wing on the team this season, but on the other, I'm not seeing a clear, difference making role for him, and while yes, he's 23, he has been here a WHILE. It's just tiring.

I like his shooting, but he goes through stretches where he won't shoot. I like his playmaking, but he goes through stretches when he plays totally out of control (I actually think we're watching Hardy pass him in that category in these playoffs, right before our eyes, with much less experience). I like his hustle and energy, and at times, his defense, but the impact of all of that seems to come and go, from my perspective, and we're going on months of a sample size of DJJ being far, far superior as a defender you can depend on. 

I have no burning desire to give up on Green yet, and I'm not super annoyed by his extension price yet, either. But, the tax ramifications are what they are, and something is gonna have to give in the near future. Just like I said on "Gafford Day" last week, I expect THJ to be the thing that gives, but if they want to re-sign DJJ AND add another piece, the idea of using Green (or Gafford) as a means of doing that kind of must be at least considered, right? Gotta give something up to get something, after all, and to me it doesn't even feel like Green is playing that many minutes in this postseason, despite being the only bench wing getting consistent burn. That tells me quite a bit about what Jason Kidd thinks of him. He's also one of only three remaining rotation players, along with Luka and Kleber, who were not brought in by Harrison's team. I would put him squarely in 3rd on that list in terms of impact, personally, though it's reasonable if some disagree. I know Kleber's availability is a huge concern for some and that's a legitimate point. 

For the record, and this isn't even contingent on anything that happens during this next series, my goal would be to do juuuuuuust enough (dumping Hardaway, probably) to re-sign DJJ (whom I officially do not believe is this year's Al Farouq Amino, but actually an integral piece of this team) and RUN IT BACK. I think the improvement for next season comes from Washington, DJJ, Lively, Gafford, Hardy, O-Max and YES - even Green, who is still only 23. All I'm saying is that if you back me into a corner and tell me they can't get the DJJ thing done by using Hardaway, alone, logic dictates that Gafford or Green are next on that list possibilities, because they're the least essential of anyone making real money. Between those two, I'm more sold on keeping Gafford than Green. But man, I hope they don't have to move either of them - just cannot, ABSOLUTELY CANNOT let DJJ get away.
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 06:51 PM)Smitty Wrote: Wasn’t a response to you. Just the general conversation.

Sorry if I jumped to a conclusion there. I just thought I was the only one who used the words "trade" and "Green" in the same post, and Gafford day has me feeling hypersensitive to getting misinterpreted.
Like Reply
Regardless of finals outcome we’ve found the recipe for success. It’s all set up for this to be the formula for 2 more years (everyone but DJj under contract 2 more years):

Superstars providing the offensive engine:
Luka
Kyrie

Perimeter defenders:
DJJ
PJ

Paint defenders:
Gafford
Lively

This is not broken and doesn’t need to be fixed. Everyone else is in a supporting role to these 6 players. The roster is already set up to cover these guys weaknesses

Change of pace 5 out big:
Maxi

Speedy 3pt shooting energy defender:
Green

Playmaking bench scorer with upside:
Hardy

Big versatile 3 and D bench wing:
O max

Guard/wing depth:
Exum and Lawson

Veteran towel wavers:
Powell and Morris

Kyrie and Maxi are the only players over 27. Pretty much everyone is 25 and under and has real potential to become better next year and beyond. And Kyrie and Maxi might be 2 of the hardest guys to replace. Only a handful of guys in the league can even do what they do. No need to mess up any chemistry. This whole thing turned once everyone moved into these clear roles

What is the weakness in this roster?
Like Reply
(7 hours ago)Jason Terry Wrote: Regardless of finals outcome we’ve found the recipe for success. It’s all set up for this to be the formula for 2 more years (everyone but DJj under contract 2 more years):

Luka
Kyrie

Perimeter defenders:
DJJ
PJ

Paint defenders:
Gafford
Lively

This is not broken and doesn’t need to be fixed. Everyone else is in a supporting role to these 6 players. The roster is already set up to cover these guys weaknesses

Maxi

Green

Hardy

O max

Guard/wing depth:
Exum and Lawson

Veteran towel wavers:
Powell and Morris

Kyrie and Maxi are the only players over 27. Pretty much everyone is 25 and under and has real potential to become better next year and beyond. And Kyrie and Maxi might be 2 of the hardest guys to replace. Only a handful of guys in the league can even do what they do. No need to mess up any chemistry. This whole thing turned once everyone moved into these clear roles

Maybe another veteran PG.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(7 hours ago)Jason Terry Wrote: Regardless of finals outcome we’ve found the recipe for success. It’s all set up for this to be the formula for 2 more years (everyone but DJj under contract 2 more years):

Luka
Kyrie

Perimeter defenders:
DJJ
PJ

Paint defenders:
Gafford
Lively

Maxi

Green

Hardy

O max

Guard/wing depth:
Exum and Lawson

Veteran towel wavers:
Powell and Morris

You forgot the aging shooting guard who can’t defend and no longer can shoot….
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
The best way to extend the window would be to avoid the tax for two more years. Freeing up the ability to go way over for a few years at the tail end of the window years 3-4-5 from now. All while maintaining the assets to add a new robin and transition out Kyrie and any role players who lose their effectiveness
Like Reply